Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tortoise meets Hare

::Note:: I actually wrote this two days ago, but forgot to post it. Better late than never?

Good morning everyone! Currently I am writing to you from Bethany, OK traffic court. [Insert gasps of shock and surprise.]

Yes, that's right. Your favorite (am I being too assuming here?) grandma driver got a speeding ticket. (No matter to the fact that I've never been pulled over for speeding in my life before this incident... or that we had just gotten a new car and I wasn't used to how the speedometer was all on the left side of the circle rather than a full moon shape like my usual car-- Gee thanks for your consideration, hidden motorcycle cop. 'ppreciate ya.)

So here I wait, hoping to see some good will on my spotless driving record's behalf. (Keep your fingers crossed!) And, as I wait, my mind is brought to the subject of patience. Isn't patience a funny thing? Just when we need it, it seems we've run out.

When "honeybottom" and I first started dating, I fell rather quickly (hence, the vomit.) Little did I know that God was setting up a wonderful round  of "Tortoise and the Hare"... All to sometimes humorously and other times painfully teach me a lesson in patience. As I will share in a post later this week... Jake loved to force patience on me during our dating relationship-- with the majority of my patience woes centering around a certain special three words.

But now, looking back--even though I still think the lengthy lack of those three words was a little excessive--I really am thankful for the patience that those times of trial and sometimes frustration taught me. Because whether it be a frustrating friend, over-protective parent,  disorderly descendant, or just a commitment-phobe-but-still-totally-THE-guy boyfriend... allowing God to use those people in your life to help you grow and mature and maybe just slow down a little every once in a while... well it's  priceless. (And by priceless, I also mean that seeing the moment itself is priceless. Because you gotta admit that watching an impatient person be forced to be patient is just plain funny.)

So here's to patience, finding a happy medium tortoise meets hare pace, and that classic, annoying song that your parents probably sang to you growing up.

Have patience, have patience
Don't be in such a hurry
When you get impatient
You only start to worry
Remember, remember that God is patient, too
Just think of all the times when others
Have to wait for you

::Post Script:: The judge decided that in order to remove it from my record (on top of six months of no speeding tickets--cake) that I have to go to defensive driving. Neat. Why is it that whenever someone in authority asks me my age and I say 21 they just automatically assume that I'm some crazy, irresponsible drunkard who deserves reprimanding and forced guidance?

No comments:

Post a Comment