Saturday, January 8, 2011

Frodo & Footbaths

::my husband is going to kill me for posting this::

My husband has hobbit feet. (even though it's hard to really tell in this picture)




And yet, when I look at them, I don't see snapshots of Frodo Baggins.

I see the feet of a man who would walk a million miles to find me and to fight for me. I see 10 little chubby toes that I'll probably see attached to one (if not all) of my children someday. And above all, I see two feet that I know will always be leading me and our future family... as they themselves follow after God.

Now I must admit, when I had Jake choose the first coupon this week... I was a little disappointed in his selection. Not that I really mind giving him a foot rub. I guess I just wanted to see our first week into the New Year hold something a little more "exciting." Like stripping down naked, lighting your hair on fire, and running across a football field in a stadium full of people (Dodge seriously made a genius move having Michael C. Hall narrate their commercials this year... I still can't get this one out of my head).

Well, maybe not that. But something with a little more "ummmph." Maybe a weekend camping trip, or even a competitive game of sorts. Alas, the foot rub coupon was what he had chosen to redeem... and I told you how serious I was about my coupons.

But something changed a couple of days ago when I was reading in the book of John, chapter 13. In this chapter, Jesus washes the feet of his disciples (which, considering they had to walk everywhere virtually barefoot, was quite a task. Think cracked heels, callouses, and toe jam galore) before explaining the underlying significance of his actions.

 12 After washing their feet, he put on his robe again and sat down and asked, “Do you understand what I was doing? 13 You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and you are right, because that’s what I am. 14And since I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you ought to wash each other’s feet. 15 I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you. 16 I tell you the truth, slaves are not greater than their master. Nor is the messenger more important than the one who sends the message. 17 Now that you know these things, God will bless you for doing them.


In the washing of the feet, Jesus sets an incredible example of humility that all married couples (or even single individuals in their friendships) should cling to. Because if we can humble ourselves enough to get up close and personal with the darkest, dirtiest, most worn-in parts of each other, then we can learn to love in spite of any circumstance or obstacle--free of the sin and shame that all too often bonds us to our pride and broken hearts.


So I rolled my sleeves up, made a bucket of warm, pepperminty water (we both adore the smell of peppermint oil)...




Made a little bit of homemade sugar scrub (recipe soon to follow in another post!)...
and got up close and personal with the weary travelers of my hobbit... er, i mean husband. 

What a simple and beautiful way for God to remind me how love and humility go hand in hand... 
or is it foot in foot?


P.S. Did anyone else try the challenge this week? Or has anyone participated in any sort of foot-washing ceremony? I'd love to hear any comments on your story... Also, check back tomorrow for the sugar scrub recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment