Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I.O.U. Blessings

When I was little, I didn't have a job, and was therefore penniless. Big surprise there. I was like six.

Hence, when Christmas time and birthdays rolled around, my present-giving capabilities were limited to things that I could make and/or do. Thus began the tradition of "the coupon book."

Almost every family member got one, each with a purposeful variation in content. Handmade with all sorts and bits of paper, glue, string, and an assortment of washable markers/colored pencils, (I was rarely allowed to use paints due to a so-called tendency to spill--I have NO idea what they were talking about...) they were the epitome of crafty. They were also cute, sincere, and above all ENVIED.

Especially the breakfast in bed coupon. (For those of you who haven't tried my breakfast foods, i.e. vanilla-cinnamon pancakes, stuffed french toast, etc., come over anytime to experience the magic--I don't limit the glories of breakfast to morning times.) When any family member wanted to redeem their coupon, they alerted me at least 24 hours in advance--as the fine print called for--and I would begin to plan and prepare the elaborate feast that awaited them. The following morning they would be presented with the works--toast, jam, homemade honey butter (one of my specialties), pancakes, orange juice, coffee, tea, fruit--give or take a few other gourmet delicacies.

Needless to say, I was serious about my coupons. Their content non-negotiable, I held true to my word.

This all goes to say that this year when I was Christmas shopping for my husband and I's very first Christmas and I saw a coupon book in the mall's bookstore, I nearly died. What better way to celebrate our first Christmas and new year together as our own little family than to continue some of the traditions that I had started as a child.

I think Jake might have been a bit confused when he opened a book of coupons under the tree, particularly because of the name of this afformentioned coupon book:

"I.O.U. Blessings"



Yes I am aware that this name is incredibly corny.

And true, some of its contents require equal amounts of corny behavior. But, as I mentioned in yesterday's post, inspiration and intrigue are important to me. And I saw this little book of 52 "blessings" as the perfect opportunity to pursue those things.

So, when I told you yesterday that I had a grand, magnificent plan... I bet you wouldn't have guessed that it would involve coupons. Week-by-week, my dear man is responsible for choosing the coupon of his choice, and each week, I will share on here what the task at hand is to be, how it plays out, and where exactly this year-long journey will take us. And, if these coupons serve as a little inspiration and intrigue for any of my readers, than I hope to hear from you guys about your own journey, too.

Tomorrow will come the revelation of "blessing" numero un (that's number one in french).

'Til then, "Au revoir and bon chance!" (free translation that baby!)

1 comment:

  1. This is so fun!! Can't wait to read what the task is tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete